It’s not all that hard to understand the appeal of a military watch for men. This kind of wristwatch oozes with undeniable masculinity. It’s like having a weapon in your hands—it makes you feel all manly. The best military watch models are distinctly rugged in build and functional in design. If you are searching for best watches for military, then you are at the right place.
There are different types though. Some are extremely rugged, and best for casual occasions. Others are more elegant and may even look dashing in more formal attire. But elegance isn’t a requirement—functionality is much more crucial. They may offer different special features; however, they all share certain common characteristics.
Military Watch – Buying Guide
What you have to understand about a military watch is that it’s mainly about function. Pretend you’re in a battlefield. If you’re going to wear a watch in such conditions, then it better be tough enough to deal with shock if you even have to dive to the ground. It should be wearable when it rains.
Of course, it better tells time accurately. If you’re planning military operations and synchronizing your movements, everyone better has good watches. In fact, it shouldn’t have any sort of unnecessary complication. It may have a few special features, but then these must help with your military activities. These can include the chronograph feature or a graduated diver’s bezel. Before going further, you must read our article on What Is a Military Watch?
With the emphasis on function, the watch must be easy to read even in low light conditions. That means the watch dial is typically larger than usual. It generally features a high contrast color scheme, with a dark dial and light-colored lumed hands and numbers. The numbers are also larger; they can also feature 24-hour numbering. Accuracy is one of the major features that everyone needs to look in deciding what are some of the best watches for military.
The watch casing is generally stainless steel or titanium, and certainly not plastic. There’s also a durable crystal cover, and it’s great if it is glare-proof. The bands are usually canvas, but they should be tough and also comfortable.
No-nonsense military watches tend to use quartz movements instead of automatic. While the style maven may appreciate wearing a great automatic movement for the craftsmanship, for warriors, the style doesn’t matter when they’re involved in life-or-death situations.
You don’t have to be a soldier to wear a military watch. But if you’re an avid outdoorsman then these watches can prove useful when you’re engaged in various athletic or outdoor pursuits. For the masculine outdoorsy types, this is the type of watch that really matches their personality.
How to Pick the Best Military Watches?
If you are looking to pick on of the best military watches, it must be durable and sustain extreme weather conditions. Though different people have different needs, still there are some common features, which one needs to look for in the best tactical watches.
Fashion is not the top priority of military watches. Rather, durability and features play a crucial role while selecting the military watch that suits your requirements in the best possible way.
Here are things to consider while buying a Best Military Watch.
- Water Resistance: To be the best survival watch, it should be highly water resistant. When a watch is rated as water resistant, it means that it can be immersed in the water to a certain depth safely. Even if a watch is rated as water resistant, it loses its resistance over a period of time. So, try to pick a watch, which is highly water-resistant and also get it tested occasionally to know the current level of resistivity to water.
- Shock Resistant: A watch that is generally labeled as water resistant can withstand any adverse condition. The ISO 1413 standard, which is adopted by many watch manufacturers across the globe, needs to meet minimum requirements to get approved and qualified. A good shock-resistant watch can withstand a shock if it is accidentally thrown on to a hardwood surface.
- Solar-Powered: Solar-powered watches are directly charged from the sun or from any other light source present inside solar power watches. Along with the solar cell, they also contain a secondary battery, which gets charged from this solar cell. A fully charged solar watch can keep time up for many months.
- Scratch Resistant: Over a period of time, the overall appearance of a watch will deteriorate. This is due to the usage of poor manufacturing materials. The military watch should have the sapphire lens, which is one of the scratch-resistant and hardest minerals. Such watches are quite affordable when compared to the other watches.
- Accuracy: Accuracy is one of the most important things when you rely on coordinating your moves with others. According to Swiss Testing Institute, a quartz watch is not allowed to drift more than 0.07 seconds. Mechanical watches drift more than 6 seconds a day. So, if you are planning an adventure or want to navigate through unknown trails, then pick a watch with high accuracy.
- Durability: Durability is another important aspect to take care of. Military personnel has a rugged lifestyle and the watches need to be made of top-notch materials to withstand the extreme weather conditions.
These are some of the critical factors to consider while deciding the best military watch. Taking the above features into consideration, choose a watch, which best fits your needs. To learn more about other features of best watches for the military, you need to check out our article on What Are Good Military Watches?
We’d like to List some of the Best Military Watches that you should check-out before making your decision.
Before we jump into learning more features, importance, cons, and pros about these best tactical watches, let us jump into our advise oriented posts.
Ever wondered Why Do Military Wear Watches? This article will give you the reasons and importance of watches in the life of a Military personnel.
We are also planning on coming with articles like Why are military watches so expensive? but before that, you should read our other articles like
Subscribe to our blog to learn more about the Army Watches.
To further explain how to find the best military watches, you may want to take a look at the best examples:
#1. Men’s Casio G-Shock RANGEMAN Master of G Series (GW-9400-3CR)
A single glance at any kind of G-Shock can certainly tell you right away that elegance of any sort isn’t high on the priority list for Casio. That’s also true of the Rangeman, which is one of the newer entries in the G-Shock series. It looks tough and formidable, and it seems designed to survive any kind of action. This is a digital watch powered by a battery. It is our number 1 choice of best watches for military.
- The watch offers extreme accuracy, as it receives calibration radio signals up to six times a day automatically. You can also manually receive the calibration signals anytime.
- This model comes with the Shock Resistant Triple Sensor. It works as an altimeter, barometer, thermometer, and even as a digital compass. Each sensor even has its own tone so you can identify it.
- You also get sunrise and sunset data, one-touch time recording, and one-touch elapsed time measurement.
- The data is displayed on a full-auto LED screen with backlight and afterglow.
- The tough of this unit is legendary. The buttons are resistant to impact and they keep out foreign material. It’s also shockproof and waterproof so you can even use this while swimming.
- It’s powered by a lithium-ion battery, but it can be powered by solar energy.
- The time will always be right.
- The look is utterly and undeniably masculine. It comes in several colors, but the green one is great if you’re going for a military theme. That’s also often the color of choice for actual military folks after finishing basic training.
- There’s no question this is a tough watch. It can stand getting knocked around, and you can drop it in mud or a pool and it’s not going to be a problem. Low temperatures of down to 14 degrees F won’t be a problem either.
- It’s very comfy to wear. It doesn’t feel all that heavy and pretty soon you don’t really feel the weight at all.
- It has so many features that are especially useful for outdoorsy types like rangers and rescue crews. Obviously, soldiers out in the field will appreciate this too.
- This will last for a very long time as it’s solar-powered.
- Using the thermometer feature requires you to remove the watch from your wrist. It can be rather annoying.
- Some people find it harder to read because of the negative display, with a black background and light-colored numbers on the display.
It looks like you’re wearing an indestructible tank on your wrist. This is virtually impregnable to any sort of damage. It also offers lots of fun features while it feels light too. Comfy, tough, and fun—what more do you want? With the Casio G-Shock Rangeman, you have a watch that any ranger would like to have on the field.
#2. Citizen Men’s AT0200-05E Eco-Drive Stainless Steel Watch with Green Canvas Band
The Eco-drive is one of the most famous casual watches in the world, but there’s no denying the roots of this particular model as a military watch. It’s got the look down pat, with the analog display powered by Japanese quartz movement. It’s a perfect watch for the weekend, and it can take any outdoor activity you may want to engage in.
- The look is distinctly military, with a black round dial and large numerals, solid luminous hands, and a contrasting red second hand. The steel case also comes with a green canvas band that looks quite rugged.
- It features three subdials and a date window at the 4 o’clock position. You have a 1-second chronograph, measurement up to 60 minutes, and a 12/24 hour time.
- It uses an “eco-drive” power system that doesn’t need a battery at all. This analog quartz movement generates power from any sort of light. That means not just sunlight but the ambient light inside.
- It has a 10bar water-resistance level, and it can be used even for snorkeling.
- It’s a great-looking watch. It’s ideal for weekends and goes well with casual attire.
- The eco-drive is great, as it means it basically will run forever as long as you don’t hide it in a drawer.
- You won’t have to remove this watch when you’re showering or swimming.
- It’s quite durable and very low-maintenance.
- The value for money you get is truly outstanding.
- It’s a very laid-back watch, and it’s not really appropriate for very formal occasions.
- Snobs may not really appreciate the use of quartz.
When all is considered, what we have here is really one of the best casual watches around. It’s very comfortable to wear and offers several functions and features, and it just looks great. Its look also has that special military style that many guys like a lot as it oozes masculinity, but it’s not so big as to be obnoxious. It’s a relaxing watch for relaxing times.
#3. Luminox Men’s 3051 EVO Navy SEAL Colormark Watch
The Navy Seal in the name should clue you in as to what kind of a watch this is. But it’s not just a marketing ploy because actual military personnel wears this, including USAF pilots, real Navy Seals, and other commandos. It’s that good.
- This analog-quartz watch is much brighter in low-light conditions than many other watches. It truly glows in the dark, so you don’t have to work so hard to know the time when you’re in low light conditions. That’s crucial for so many types of people who work mostly in the dark.
- It’s also water resistant down to 660 feet. That basically means you can use this any sort of professional marine work and surface water sports.
- This features a 44mm case that’s very hard to ignore. That also means you can see what time it is at just a glance.
- The dial is classic black, with large numerals and smaller numbers on the inside for a 24-hour military time. Then there’s a date window right by the 3 o’clock position. The bezel is unidirectional and textured, with clear white indices that makes it very easy to read.
- The band is made of durable polyurethane. It’s quite comfy and it’s tough.
- Real warriors wear it. For guys, that’s the kind of endorsement that’s hard to resist. When you know for a fact that you have on your wrist the same watch that a real Navy Seal uses, it gives you a sort of bond with the whole warrior mystique. Endorsements from athletes and movie stars pale in comparison.
- It’s really very bright. In fact, its glow is a hundred times brighter than what you’d find in other luminous watches. This means when it’s dark, you don’t have to squint and find a light to see the time. You will know for sure.
- The dial is clearly easy to read in the daytime because of its military features such as large numbers. It can even give you the time in military 24-hour terms. Even the bezel is easy to read.
- It’s as tough as they come, and that makes it great for careless guys who bump their watches across tables and wall.
- It’s extremely water-resistant. Except for scuba diving, you can do anything else that’s water related. You don’t have to remove this to take a shower or to swim in the pool.
- It’s quite comfortable to wear, and there aren’t any loose parts in the band that can get in the way of your activities.
- It’s not really good if you want to scuba dive with it, even if it does have a bezel.
- It’s not okay for adults wearing a suit, or any sort of formal workplace attire. It’s just too “rough” for that, as it’s not exactly elegant.
This looks like a watch that an actual soldier would use, and that’s always something that guys can’t resist. It means it’s dependable and useful in serious life-or-death situations. It also offers a sort of brotherhood connection with all the warriors in the military. Besides, it’s always easy to read even at a glance whether it’s day or night. It’s a no-nonsense watch for the no-nonsense guy.
#4. Suunto Traverse Alpha
This is somewhat like a military watch, so it makes the list. But it’s also a great watch for hunting and fishing. It’s an electronic wristwatch that uses a rechargeable Li-ion battery to power its advanced features, including GPS. If you are looking for a watch for reliability, toughness, advanced features, then Suunto traverse Alpha is one of the best military watches that you should buy.
- This is a digital watch which offers many different looks for each type of data you want displaying.
- It has a GPS system which you can use to mark your routes with the Suunto app. With the digital compass, you’re always able to know where you are and where you should go.
- It has a built-in barometric pressure sensor to provide you with altitude readings and for clues about the weather.
- You get vibration alerts for sunrise and sunset to plan for your fishing or hunting adventure. It also offers a moon phase calendar to help you figure out the best days to hunt or fish.
- There’s a flashlight built in so in an emergency you can see your surroundings. But if you’re trying to go in stealth mode, it has a red backlight that’s compatible with night vision goggles.
- It uses a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal glass, a tough but comfortable textile strap, and a stainless steel bezel.
- The GPS in this case is quite reliable. That’s not often true for many GPS watches, but it’s true for this one.
- The textured bezel gives it a more rugged vibe, and it’s also less likely to show signs of wear.
- It’s fantastic for hunting and fishing with all its cool features.
- It’s easy to tell the time even in the dark, and you can see lots of different data.
- A single full charge can last up to a week or two.
- Using the GPS constantly will use up the battery quickly within a day. You better have a handy power source for recharging with you.
- With so many buttons and functions, you’ll need a lot of practice to familiarize yourself with how to use it. That can take a bit of time.
It can be considered a military watch, since it’s functional, easy to read even in the dark, and it works for other outdoorsy types like hunters and anglers. If you need an outdoor watch, this will certainly do. Once you’re back in the real world, you can still wear it. It looks nice and not too tacky.
#5. Garmin Tactix Bravo, Black with Silicone Band
As this is a Garmin, you’re right to expect a digital display that you can customize to look the way you want. It looks like a serious timepiece for military operations, though it’s great for other outdoor activities or even for just casual get-togethers with friends. Garmin Tactix Bravo might be expensive, but with a range of features its loaded with, it is one of the best tactical watches to buy.
- Aside from the time, its other features include an altimeter window on the 9 o’clock, opposite the day/date complication at the 3 o’clock.
- The GPS system offers navigational functions to guide your path in the bush.
- Other features include Jumpmaster, TracBack and projected waypoints. You also have a barometer and a compass.
- It offers smart notifications from your smartphone. This gives you texts and emails from your smartphone straight to your watch.
- The rechargeable battery can last 20 hours in GPS mode, and up to three weeks in smartwatch mode.
- You can see the data in the dark, or even with nigh vision goggles.
- The bezel ha a DLC coating for abrasion resistance, and overall it’s an extremely rugged watch.
- You have lots of data to help you in the field, including GPS so you don’t get lost.
- You don’t have to worry about having this watch break down on you.
- The battery can last a good long while, even with GPS.
- The water resistance makes it wearable even when you’re swimming.
- This isn’t for scuba diving.
- You will need some time to familiarize yourself with the long list of features.
This is a smartwatch that lots of outdoorsy types will find useful in the field. You get lots of data for navigation and weather, plus it looks seriously rugged, It’s an unabashedly man’s watch for sure, and it does have that certain military watch vibe.
#6. Victorinox Swiss Army Watch 241560
When it comes to Swiss military watches, Swiss Army Watch 241560 is one of the most popular models. So, if you are thinking of buying this watch, below are some important features you should know about. This elegant-looking watch has everything you want on your wrist. If you are planning to buy the Best Swiss military watches, then Victorinox Swiss Army Watch 241560 is the best bet for you.
- The Dial Type is Analog and is an elegant Military Watch.
- The round shapes case made of stainless steel with Case diameter of 43 mm.
- Water resistant: 500 meters / 1650 feet and its really great for diving or swimming.
- Watch label: Swiss Made Victorinox.
- Uses Swiss quartz technology to offer accuracy and precision at all times.
- Calendar: Date display at 3 o’clock position and Functions: Date, Hour, Minute.
- When it comes to Swiss Army Watches, their durability is their forte.
- It is good for diving as it is water-resistant to a depth of 500m, which is very impressive.
- It shows both date and time, which gives it an edge over others.
- The price tag of the watch is little on the higher side.
- This is a casual sports watch and will not be suitable for all occasions.
If you are looking for a watch for casual wear with really good durability, then it is recommended to go with this watch. It’s the perfect sea monster with an amazing water threshold.
#7. Wenger Swiss Army “Sport Battalion” Watch 79031
Wenger has always come on top when it comes to style and aesthetic looks. This watch is an epitome of their work in the true sense. Below are some of the important points that you should know before buying this watch.
- Swiss-made quartz is made with sapphire coated mineral crystal.
- It has a rotating bezel that gives it the perfect touch.
- Swiss-quartz movement is also a feature that you can’t easily ignore.
- Case Diameter is 43mm.
- It is water resistant up to 100m (400ft).
- This round analog watch comes at a very affordable rate.
- The watch is available in many colors, including white, black, and orange, thus giving you a lot of options to choose from.
- Rotating bezel and elegant crystals give you the perfect watch that you can’t resist to buy.
- The watch is good for surface water sports, but not deep diving.
- The watch band is not as comforting as it looks.
If you are looking for a watch that is affordable and can suit your regular sports activity, then this watch is the right choice. If you are a professional diver who is looking for a watch with high water threshold, then this is not recommended.
#8. SHARK Men’s Military Sports Wrist Watch Alarm
This is one of the most stylish watches with so many features in this price range. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money and are looking for a watch that fits your pocket perfectly, then this one should be on the top of your priority list.
- Porbeagle Shark with Domineering Style
- LCD date, day and time Display
- Alarm and Chronograph are the extra features
- It has double movement and Chronograph is perfect
- It is Specially designed with “Stainless steel” Big Case
- It is water resistant up to 3 ATM
- 12 months international warranty is available
- Rubber band strap provides comfortable wearing experience.
- The digital display is easy to read and it is suitable for both outdoor and indoor sports like running, climbing.
- It is best for daily use as well as it is low-power electronic with good durability.
- If you are looking for a lightweight watch, then this should not be your choice as it is bit heavier.
- The winding knob pops out sometimes, which might stop the hands from moving.
- It is water resistant only up to 30 meters and shower is also not recommended while wearing this watch.
All the features of the watch fit perfectly with its price. What more can you expect at this price tag? This could be the perfect gift for the men in your life on special occasions. SHARK Men’s Military Sports Wrist Watch is a durable watch and works well for daily use.
#9. Seiko Men’s SNK805 Seiko 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with Green Canvas
It is one of the highest rated Seiko watches on Amazon. This military-inspired watch comes in the hundred dollar price range and is the perfect piece that lasts long.
- This imported green dial, luminous accents watch comes at a price of $79.
- It has day and date functions as well.
- Case dimensions: 37mm, Strap length: 7 inch
- Green nylon strap with buckle closure fits smoothly.
- It is water resistant to 30 m (99 ft.)
- Automatic movement with analog display gives it the perfect look.
- This is the most affordable military style watch in this price range.
- It gives you mechanical feel as you can listen to the rotor movements and arm ticking.
- The item is not available for international shipping and costs you more than the fixed price if you are ordering from outside the US.
- The watch is not good for swimming, though it can withstand water splashes and brief immersion.
- It is not that precise; you might see 1-2 minutes lag in time daily.
If you are looking for a plain simple watch with some good features and durability, you can give this one a try. If you indulge in water sports, then this watch is not recommended. Overall, this is the best you can afford in this price range.
#10. BINZI Big Face Sports Watch for Men
This comes at the fifth position in our list of the best military watches. The price of the watch is around $190, but now you can buy it on Amazon at 80% discounted rate. Below are some important things you should know about this watch.
- It displays the day and date in both the modes (12h/24h).
- It has silicone strap, which gives it a classy look.
- You’ll get one year warranty with the product.
- Case Material is Zinc Alloy, which makes it durable.
- Diameter is 4cm and width is 2.5cm, which is of appropriate size.
- You can customize the date and time modes.
- The watch looks classy with black silicon band, which makes it the perfect fit for parties.
- Price is affordable.
- The watch is not water resistant, so you have to keep it away from shower and water splashes.
- This is not indeed a sports watch, so it won’t be good for casual wear.
- It is bit heavier than what it seems to be.
This model is perfect for the price. If you are looking for a party wear classic watch at an affordable price, you can’t resist buying this one. The silicone straps add a new look to the dial and the watch gives you more confidence when you flaunt it in front of your friends.
As you can see, we’ve somewhat redefined the notion of the military watch on this list. Sure, we’ve included traditional military watches, but the fact is that nowadays soldier-types may need more info than what you can get from an analog display.
In any case, there’s enough variety here to choose from to suit your preferences. You don’t have to be a soldier to wear them, and you don’t have to be an outdoorsy type. Any watch on this list can make you feel like one, though, and sometimes that’s the point. If it makes you feel great and masculine, then it has done its job.